Межнациональное общение / International communication

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Споры от generalissimo

Сообщений 1 страница 11 из 11

Евгений, следуют некие разговоры,

скрытый текст

тексткоторые снял от ББЦ. Может быть стоило бы, их сюда опубликовать. Участвуют люди из Обьединненого Королевства (Cool_Brush_work), из Греции (Nik), из Турции (Bora + MacTurk). Я тоже кое-как подвключился.
472. At 08:20am on 23 Jul 2010, generalissimo_franco wrote:
@ 469 CBW
Well, I see that you are going easily to put on the same bench all orthodox people here present (incl. Alice of Russia, Nik & Vassilis of neighbour Greece, me and others). It is a pity indeed, because we have been chatting here for almost three years and, each one of us got some kind of more or less accurate impression on the political, cultural etc. comments of the other bloggers, an impression which gradually became a conviction about the visions of any member of our virtual community.
Of course, I must agree that many of the conclusions our colleague Nik posted here are more or less extremist /no matter that they are based on well established historic facts/. Nik, at times seems to be more emotional than logic. I understand him better than anyone, because the fate of my country is very, very similar to that of his native Greece. If we add to that the circumstance that at we share very close orthodox culture and traditions, you may easily make the parallel between Brits and the other English speaking Christian people from New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the US. Needleless to say, all orthodox people /with a few exceptions/ still consider Russia as being the banner and the leader of our orthodox community. I do not have in mind the highly educated people like you and me. I have in mind all those millions of unknown hard working people from Cyprus, Create, all the Greek Archipelago /the Russian admiral Ushakoff liberated from the Ottoman rule in the XVIII s./, Armenia, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Bosnia and Bulgaria who owe their independence to Russia. The memories are still alive. That sympathy and respect to the bigger sister is so profoundly set in the hearts of the said people that they make part of the mentality of the crushing majority of the orthodoxies.
Of course, we face new realities and new challenges now. If you had the patience to read the posts I have exchanged with Threnodio, MAII and Powermeerkat (just like I read regularly your posts), you would have noticed maybe that I repeatedly was supporting the present status quo in Europe under the NATO command, that I had little trust in the efficiency of an eventual EDF; that I highly appreciated the US involvement in the collective defence of the European member states; and that my personnel concerns were linked with the eventual dissolution of NATO and the US disengagement from the European theatre.
I do hope that you will be able to make a clear distinction between the people from the Eastern part of the continent, just as we try to assess the contribution of each west nation to the welfare of our community (the EU). I shall go even further in my predictions by saying something that probably will not please you personally, though it is not at all my own vision on how things would go if the UK eventually withdrew from the EU. I do not believe that that will happen at all, but I am convinced /taking in account the irreversible integration processes/ that the UK risks to be virtually dismantled, because the Scots, the Welsh people, the North Irish people and the English will take full advantage of the situation in order to re-confirm their European identity. So, the paradoxical(!) equation tells me that the mere preservation of your union depends much on your active(!) presence beyond the channel. As a matter of fact, I always believed that the Brits were more attached to us, the European folks than to their overseas ex-colonies. (In Bulgaria there is already a very strong community of retired Brits who have deemed it useful to buy real estate here and to enjoy the sunny time nine months a year).
Regards from Sofia
473. At 08:39am on 23 Jul 2010, generalissimo_franco wrote:
@469 CBW (ctnd)
"In all honesty I cannot believe that the deluded condition is rife because if it were then whole country would need permanent sedation!"
Fortunately enough, the situation both in Greece and in the EU is not so hopeless and does not need a permanent sedation.
However, I invite you to make (for yourself) a more thorough study of the last events that followed the coming to power of the present Turkish leadership. I do not think that a country that is going to abandon the secular values do not represent a source of some logical concern among us, Europeans.

Отредактировано Боевой Тушканчик (2010-07-27 23:00:26)

Евгений, следует продолжение:

скрытый текст

текст478. At 2:10pm on 23 Jul 2010, cool_brush_work wrote:
generalissimofranco

Re #472

As You did me the courtesy of a long and very interesting response to my #469 I have taken the same approach (apologies).

Yes, I had as always, read Your posts & noted Your interest/support of NATO was similar to many inc. my own.

In my #469 I wrote of those EUropean Nations & Peoples who favoured the formation of an EDF. I indirectly suggested that views such as those of the mad-Greek indicated an EDF would find itself at loggerheads with Turkey. I stand by that.

Elsewhere, You choose to use the term "..orthodox.." and it is a bit unclear to me as to what You mean by this: As a 'Faith' it would seem to be a wholly inappropriate (i.e. out-dated & inaccurate) labelling of a mass of people in the region You primarily make Your remarks about. On any other basis the term 'orthodox' suggests You take Your view as common to the great majority (inc. Nik); I would say that is as much of a generalisation as if I were (which I never do) to claim the UK Citizens all want to be out of the EU.

Like the UK/England, Bulgaria has a long history and of course every Citizen is affected to some extent by the annals of experience passed from one generation to the next: Here again, I do puzzle over Your presenting of the 'eastern' continent as being so different from all the rest - - if anything such a view just highlights for me the ridiculous EU 'one-size-fits-all' mentality & absurdity of 'every closer union'. On the contrary, I do not think any of us are so very different; what Citizens of 'West' (You label it 'EU' though I don't know why?) & 'East' aspire to is the Rights & Responsibilities arrived at by Democratically approved Human Rights and with that an opportunity to live in relative harmony. It would seem to me the serial enmity, paranoid suspicion & hatreds expressed toward Turkey belong in a past You & others should not be handing down to Your children/grandchildren if those aspirations I mention above are to be achieved.
If the formation of the European Economic Community had a primary goal in the 'west' it was to break down those old, near traditional enmities - - IMO it succeeed to some extent - - IMO it is the post-Maastricht inception of the 'political construct' called the EU that has set-back that notable achievement by its wilful neglect/disrespect of the People.

Of course, throughout Europe & the British Isles there are unresolved issues: For Greece, e.g. Cyprus, but it is certainly no way to approach their resolution to have a mad-Greek constantly alleging the USA, UK, Germany etc. are all encouraging Turkey in opposition to Greece's interests because of an imagined catalogue of wrongs towards his Nation.

Personally, I would welcome the entry of Turkey into the EU as it would undoubtedly have enormous undermining impact on the axis-of-ill-intent based at Paris-Brussels-Berlin. Turkey's admittance is of course a long way off - - this too, I enjoy from a political perspective - - for it serves to highlight the utter duplicity & calculated menace of that 'axis' who between them spout fulsomely about the benefits of 'ever closer union' etc. and in the next breath put every imaginable & unimagined obstacle in the way of the entry of a very large neighbouring Nation! IMO Paris-Berlin want hegemony in continental EUrope, are close to achieving it, and the last thing they want or need is to have large & powerfully attractive 'independent' National voices at the 'west', i.e. UK/England and 'east', i.e. Turkey, offering alternatives to their 'one-size-fits-all' version of a unified Europe. In or out the EU it is my contention UK/England & Turkey are serious rivals to the centralising core instincts of the EU-Brussels entity: It can barely cope with the ramifications of UK/England's 'optional' stance to Brussels' self-serving policies so how much more pressured & weakened would its centre become with a lively alternative Economic-Political scenario on its 'eastern' border, i.e. Turkey as a member of the EU?

Which brings me to Your early claim, "..many conclusions of our colleague Nik posted here are more or less extremist..": There is NO 'more-or-less', his views are at the worst end of 'extreme' & border as I obviously have stated on madness. You continue with, "..no matter that they are based on well established historic facts..": When You try to repeat/support the unsubstantiated, factually inaccurate & often wholly erroneous mad-Greek's assertions about the history/misfortunes etc. of Greece/Balkans You undermine almost everything else that You comment on.

I regret, but in all honesty must state, I have no more sympathy with You than Nik if behind everything of Your views lay similar motivations of spuriously unfounded 'geo-political' conspiracy theories.

Final issue:
Contrary to Your thoughts, the 'dismantling' of the UK cannot in my view occur quickly enough! The sooner England & the English are after centuries freed of the encumbrance (and vice versa) of Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland the better.
IMO the United Kingdom was an exceptionally useful & effective political-cultural-military entity in its time. However, those days are long gone: Frankly, in this modern age of Hi-Tec/Spec. in everything the Scots, Welsh & Irish don't want or need such close ties with the English and the English as the ONLY National group WITHOUT its own elected representative Parliament most assuredly would be far better off Paying their Taxes for England's benefit alone. Thus, I would also support not paying any English Taxes to Brussels (i.e withdrawal).

IMO the Economic-Fiscal relief of not having to contribute to the 3 'union' nations and/or to Brussels other than by normal mercantile methods would in itself be an enormous uplift for England.

Thus, Referenda for all 4 Union Nations on UK & on EU Membership would be my political wish-list fulfilled: Though I make no claim for results suiting my personal beliefs on either issue -- it is the fact that NOBODY knows the British Citizens' views on their political-economic-social-judicial future is my greatest annoyance. Clearly the 'political' elite of the UK/England are very unlikely to put those 2 key issues to the Public in Secret Ballot anytime soon as it would appear they fear my 'withdrawal' ambition is also that of a majority of Britons/English.

So, the wholly Un-Democratic EU process continues bringing with it (in contrast to expressed aims) 'ever closer disillusionment' and the likelihood of a frustrated & bitterly divided populace - - within the UK/England & on the Continent - - from which resistance movements may emerge that do not favour my 'political' resolution and take more direct/assertive action against the illegitimate EU-Brussels entity or representations of it across borders.

Отредактировано Боевой Тушканчик (2010-07-27 23:01:44)

Евгений, опять следует продолжение:

скрытый текст

текст498. At 09:24am on 26 Jul 2010, you wrote:
@478 CBW (ctnd)
Well, as I promised you earlier, I shall try to make clear my position on several issues you commented last time.
I certainly did not “generalised” at all the mere existence of the orthodox world in the Eastern/South Eastern part of the continent (incl. the European part of Russia, Byelorussia, Ukraine /just the central and the eastern part of/, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia/I mean FYROM, not the Greece province under the same name/, Greece, and Cyprus). That is a really existing world with similar cultures and common church which patriarch (Bartolommeo) is still based at Constantinople (Istanbul). Of course, I must agree with you that the mentality of the people inhabiting Romania, Moldova, Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro, Greece, and Cyprus, do not defer much from the mentality of the Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Austrians, Germans, etc. The Orthodox Church, as an institution, has been separated from the state by the end of the XIX s. The term “orthodox” refers to all those people inhabiting Europe Eastwards/North-eastward of Slovenia/Croatia. True, the faith is common, because the church is common, but nowadays, the term has more likely the meaning of cultural traditions, not of some narrow-minded theological interpretation of the simple fact that all those Christian nations in the East have similar living standards (except for Russia and Ukraine) and similar cultures. To that matter, I must agree that it will be a mistake to put all the blame on all the Turks, as being Muslims, former Oppressors of the Balkan Christian nations, etc. I am aware of the fact that there is in Turkey a social category of highly educated people who share the secular values and who would be glad if their country joins the EU. Unfortunately, the said people constitute a minority (physicians, architects, lawyers, teachers, progressive journalists & writers, many army officers(!), composers, musicians, some members of the court of Justice(!), etc. They all stick to the republican Kemalist precepts, and sincerely believe in the European future of their country.
However, as a whole, the Turkish nation is not prepared to meet the standards of the EU. The discrimination of the Kurdish and other non Turkish minorities, the prosecutions of progressive journalists/writers/politicians, the political support of the Mollah governors of Tehran and of the extremist organizations kind of Hamas, the successful Turkish activities aimed at the establishment of some kind of hegemony over the Eastern Mediterranean are just among the well known facts that come on the surface of the social/political life of that country. If we add to that the poor educational system in the Asian part of the Turkey, the low living standards (which are the main reason for the huge Turkish migration to Germany and to other west European countries), we must certainly agree that Bulgaria and Greece are the countries that serve not only geographically but also politically as outposts of the UE. Turkey, no matter the desire of its political leadership to be considered as a full member of the European family should remain in Asia.
I clearly understand the British interest to have an ally within the EU structures in order to counterbalance the joint French/German leadership when many important issues are being discussed and the appropriate decisions are being taken. But can you trust the Turks? Are you sure that they will always play the British card, even if, by some miracle, Turkey is allowed to join the EU? Knowing well the Imperial mentality of the Turkish leaders /no matter whether they come from the Kemalist circles, or from the so called "moderate" Islamic political parties, I am sure that they will play their own game, the "Turkish gambit"… And that will involve not only Paris/Berlin, but also London into another delicate situation where the Muslim minorities in the UE will benefit from the political support of Ankara, much to the dissatisfaction of people like you and me who still cherish the Christian values as being in the heart of our civilisation. Christianity and Islam are incompatible in their theological/philosophical foundation. Besides, Turkey is seemingly going to abandon the code of secular values it inherited from Kemal Ataturk, and old Europe is not at all a correctional house for that country which much is closer to Asia both geographically and politically.
As to the stance of Nik, that GB was always trying to contain the Russian expansion in the Eastern Mediterranean, I shall allow myself to support him by recalling just two historic facts. In 1878, during the Berlin congress, it was Lord Disraeli who succeeded in revising the results of the successful liberation war of Russia, thus depriving half of the Bulgarian nation of its historic territories and creating the complex “Macedonian issue” which is just another interpretation of the “divide and rule” British policy on the Balkans. In 1854, the British joined the coalition troops during the Crimea war thus supporting Turkey which had already lost her fleet during the Sinope naval battle, and was going to surrender to Russia. In both cases, the British Empire was acting exclusively in its own interests leaving the Christian nations at the mercy of the fate. We certainly cannot forget, nor forgive that.
As you can understand, I am not so eager to win the sympathy of any fellow blogger here present, if it will be at the expense of the historic truth, or at the expense of the efforts my nation made for returning to the European family. I certainly am not extreme nationalist, but (just like) you, I stick myself to the rule “Dieu et mon droit”, which interpretation could sound like this: “my freedom ends exactly at the spot where starts your freedom”.
I deliberately skip the delicate question of the British union. Seemingly, all the Eastern new comers like Poland, the Czech republic, Hungary, Slovenia and Bulgaria count on the support of the UK in Brussels (Romania is the only country that counts on France). We certainly have no interest to see the dismantlement of GB.
If you deem it interesting, we could go on with the discussion. I have not said yet the most important things that made possible our return to the European scene. That concerns both Russia and Britain.
Regards

Отредактировано Боевой Тушканчик (2010-07-27 23:02:29)

Следует поледное продолжение:

скрытый текст

текст499. At 10:32am on 26 Jul 2010, Nik wrote:

Bora, you claimed to be Turkish of non-muslim origins. You talk to us here pretending to be a Turk, so why don't you come out and tell us your real origins? I do so why don't you? I already had unmasked Mr. PacTurk whom I pressed to tell me he was not a Turk but a foreigner that lived there for long, so do the same.

Anyway you have avoided replying every single point and thus automatically have accepted what I said above.

You have again tried to open side issues so again you will be answered in these:

484. At 4:57pm on 23 Jul 2010, Bora wrote:

"""And? So are Nazis in 1939-1945, but you don't see people demonizing germany around now do you? You're still stuck on events that happened a century ago, which I don't deny, on any blog subject related or unrelated to greece."""

Failed example. Germany has recognised and apologised for its past deeds. Turkey and ALL Turks kemalists and muslims, educated and illiterate are into this, not only does not recognise the 3 parallel genocides totalling 4 million slaughtered people, but actually it celebrates them and do not lose the chance to threaten to repeat them on any occasion. The invasion, slaughters and ethnic cleansing in Cyprus is indicating of Turkish aggressiveness as well as deep-rooted cultural aspects of Turks.

Then again you are wrong as to my refering to it. Blogs unrelated to this rarely open such a discussion. When we do discuss the geopolitics of the Eastern Mediterranean area, it is bound to include a reference to the genocides which is the flag event of the last 200 years in the region.

"""But if this affects your economy and social life then I suggest you look for answers somewhere else."""

I guess according to you the fact that Turkey threatens with war Greece if it applies its sovereignty is the best selling point to attract serious foreign investment in Greece isn't it?

Anyone again you lost the 1000s of text I have written on how US-Russian games enter into this, again you remained in your poor Turkey's struck image, that is all you care to protect. You really are clueless of what games we are talking here. Try to make an effort to get the bigger piucture and forget for once your little beloved country.

""""Worst news is that the plan calls for the co-existing of both. What happens now is merely the rise of the islamists but in fact what both of them want is a co-existence."

You'd rather prefer they kill each other? What's wrong about a peaceful co-existance? Of course the general expectation, contrary to yours I guess, is that they'll lose their effect and eventually disappear."""

I have absolutely no care of what is going on inside Turkey. I just make the observation that Turks were always muslims and Kemalists have played on that having carried on the 3 genocides in the name of islam. To the minority of 2% of people who could read and write prior to 1920 they would sell the idea of an asi-if turkish nation but for the rest of the turkish or kurdish speaking muslim population of no particular ethnic consciousness they played the islamic card. Kemalists are no new to playing the islamic card, they have always done it. The co-existence of them is not just a reality but actually the main plan. All these inner fights are just to clear the scene in the personal level, NOT in the team level. Turkey cannot survive without getting back to islam. Kurds cannot be played by selling them turkishness but they can be played by selling them islam.

"""Turkey's current rising power doesn't come from military or kemalists or islamists, it's coming from the booming economy."""

Whatever. 15 and 10 years back Turkey was on the IMF now it is booming. If you had more insight you should understand what is going on with these bankrupcies and booms.

"""Turkey came 2nd in economic growth in the world right after China this year and is expected to be in top 5 economies in the world by 2050."""

Oh, in 40 years time? Whatever.

"""But you think USA is planning this, right?"""

US plans include several successive plans and on more than 1, Turkey won't exist till 2050. Are you satisfied?

"""Economy is booming in Turkey cos everybody is tired of endless tensions with neighboring countries. Why fight when you can do trade?"""

Good. Start solving your tensions with Greece by:

1) Accepting the international law
2) Stop threatening Greece with war
3) Retire troops from Cyprus, retire illigal colonists, return houses and lands back to the owners
3) Stop trying to push illegal immigration to Greece (and Bulgaria that is also EU)
4) Stop trying to incite (by money and sending false priests) muslim Pomaks and gipsies to call themselves Turks (both in EU Bulgaria too)
5) Recognise the 3 genocides of Minor Asia and apologise for the 1955 pongroms and the crimes in Imbros and Tenedos
... and other such thingies

See, pretending to have 0 problems with neighbours has to pass from the above. They are not just fair demands, they are the strict minimum for till today aggressive and barbaric Turkey to prove its future good intentions.

"""I was in a trade fair in autonomous Kurdistan in northern Iraq just last week and made many business deals. Nobody I met there (and they were all Kurds) had any hostility towards me or Turks, in fact it was surprising to see so many turkish goods in supermarkets, shops, streets, turkish tv programs on tv with sorani/barzani/dohuq subtitles, and people i met showed great hospitality."""

Your analysis is childish. Saudi people go to nighclubs in London, consume French champagne (despite pretending to be islamic) and have sex with British women. That does not make them European. A part of Kurds afterall were the Ottoman soldiers of the east that fought against Arabs and who perpetrated the Armenian genocide for which they have apologised (but not you). Play them the islamic card and they are yours.

"""Turkey's peaceful resolution request on Iran's nuclear power plant issue is all because Turkey fears it'll lose trade with Iran if an embargo is put in place, just like on Iraq two decades ago where Turkish economy hit bottom."""

Yes. Same with Greece having to deal with an aggressive Turkey. Now you get it.

"""Turkey suffered a lot on trade when Turkey was doing exactly what USA wanted all this time, seperating itself from Syria-Iran-Iraq. Turkey is not doing so anymore and making huge trade agreements with these countries. And suddenly in western media, Turkey's axis is shifting towards fundamentalism/islamism etc."""

You are blatantly wrong. Turkey continues to do exactly what US wants it to do. You are really ingorant of what is going on around you.

"""Despite your conspiracy theories of Turkey being USA's lapdog, Turkey has shown least support for invasion of Iraq, and Turks were claimed to be the most anti-american nation in the world, by USA! Still in US media there are so many comments on how Turkey faced itself towards the islamic middle east when all Turkey did/does is strenthening economy while the whole world has drowned in economic crisis."""

What you menion yourself is actually what you call a conspiracy theory. The reality is that US considers more than ever Turkey as its little doggie in the area and supports it on every single major issue. If Turkey wishes to play the great in the area, that is on the US command for which Turkey is the right tool for the bigger geopolitical games of the area. Turkey alone does not count. Without US support the country will arrive quite quickly on the brink of division. Stop having big ideas about your little country's capacity to play alone without the US support and face the reality.

"""Turkey's southern/southeastern neighbors are booming because Turkey is booming."""

You mean Syria and Lebanon? I do not think their economies depend so much on their relationship with Turkey though if Turkey does well it is better for them.

"""Greeks can take it to the streets and forums all they want, but that's not gonna change their failing economy."""

Greeks do not take it to the streets. Syndicalists or anarchists do. In 9 out of 10 strikes of the last 20 years less than 20% of people participated. There is a huge gap into saying that "Greeks took to the streets".

"""You have milked EU long enough and strangled yourself in EU politics."""

Greeks did not milk. Do not underestimate Eurpoeans. Greeks were milked in ways you are too naif to comprehend. I have already extensively analysed this, yet your hatred for Greeks does not permit you to understand a single word.

"""It's not because of some genocides or kemalists or british agents that your economy is this way, and will stay this way for quite some time."""

Who said it is because of that? Apparently you. You keep mixing the different issues having a hard time to follow the discussion.

487. At 5:09pm on 23 Jul 2010, Bora wrote:

464. At 12:56pm on 22 Jul 2010, Nik wrote:
"Despite the time proximity of 1919 (year of the arrival of the Greek army in the city to 1923 year of the foundation of the Turkish state), what you say is the the equivalent of saying that Romans invaded and occupied Hungary but the Hungary did not exist back then nor did Hungarians."

"""My child, before rewriting history you should read about how Turkish war of independence started on 19th May 1919."""

What war of independence? The 2/3 of Turkey were occupied by Britain, France and Italy and Turks gathered the 100% of their army to attack the 1/10th that was occupied by Greeks sent there by British. There was absolutely no battle among Turks and Italians for example. Apparently Turks did not mind at all Italians having all south Turkey. The whole case of the "turkish war of independence" was to justifiy the establishment of the Kemalist regime and the completion of the genocides that had started 10 years earlier.

""""Smyrna could not had been occupied by Greeks, a population that had been there for at least 3 times longer in the span of history than the whatever muslims Turks you can count, let alone being the majority in this city Turks themselves called Gavour-Izmir (i.e. Smyrna, city of infidels)."

And Britain was occupied by pagan picts, celts, saxons etc way longer in the span of history than the whatever vikings or normans or christians arrived on the island, your point?"""

My point is that Turks commited the perfect genocide and that they are proud about it and ready to do it again on the first occasion.

"""And my young, Turks don't call Izmir "Gavour", that is hizbullah wannabe islamic fundamentalists that Turkey has greatly taken care of, and them calling Izmir "Gavour" comes from turks in aegean region having a good taste of alcohol and being least bit islamic according to them, nothing to do with greeks. Another myth debunked."""

The do not call it today. Back then they called it Gavour Izmir for the simple reason the city was just another Greek city within the falling Ottoman Empire.

Отредактировано Боевой Тушканчик (2010-07-27 23:02:59)

Ну вот и действительно последное:

скрытый текст

текст501. At 11:10am on 26 Jul 2010, Nik wrote:
"stuff"

First you treat the minorities in northern greece 2nd class citizens, you don't give them equal rights (since they're not orthodox christians), and now you have the odacity to lie about how they're gonna massacre their neighbors in some imaginary war? How stupid do you think people are? I'm beginning to think you're in some looney house with free internet!
506. At 3:47pm on 26 Jul 2010, MacTurk wrote:
Oh dear, I go away for the weekend, and when I return, I find more streams of Greek consciousness awaiting. To cool_brush_work, thank you for your number 421. As you know, I have a policy of not responding to our Greek contributor. There are two reasons. First, because life is too short. Second, because of the idea that in any war, to win you have to become like your enemy, and I really do not want to go there.
Sadly, Bora is trying to reason with him. An exercise in wrestling fog.

To generalissimo_franco, regarding your number 479;
"Well Nik, I would restrain myself to comment your presumption, though I believe that Kemal Pasha, long before the coup he mounted in 1920 was in the heart of the slaughters that took place in Armenia, and elsewhere". I think if you do the research, you will discover that Mustafa Kemal Pasha had no time or inclination for any participation in "the slaughters that took place in Armenia". Firstly, because he was posted, on November 1914, as commander of the Turkish 19th Division in the Gallipoli zone, part of the 5th Army under the command of (Geerman)General Otto Liman von Sanders.
Basically, from the time he arrived, he was involved with the defence of the Gallipoli peninsula. The Allies' initial naval began the same month. General Kemal Pasha was just a litle busy with the combined forces of the British and French Navies, plus assorted ground troops from Ireland, Australia, New Zealan, etc, to have time for what you accuse him of. Lastly, he had major issues with the three leaders of the Committee of Union and Progress(CUP)ruling group. He did not like them, and they feared him.
It is also important to note that Kemal Ataturk expressed official regret about the Armenian killings on at least one occasion in the early years of the Turkish Republic.
You can believe what you want, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

507. At 08:45am on 27 Jul 2010, Generalissimo_franco wrote:
@ 506 MacTurk
"Firstly, because he was posted, on November 1914, as commander of the Turkish 19th Division in the Gallipoli zone, part of the 5th Army under the command of (Geerman)General Otto Liman von Sanders."
Dearest komshu (Turkish: neighbor),
I understand your patriotic efforts to deny whatever involvement of Kemal Pasha in the Armenian genocide. However, there are many well established facts that evidenced his personnel role in the slaughter of thousands of Armenians in 1919 in the town of Cilicia and in 1922 in the town of Smyrna.
What I would suggest to any Turkish blogger here present is simple: to express sincerely his sympathies for the millions of slaughtered innocent Christians, say from 1913 on, up to 1974. That generous gesture will be highly appreciated by many of the participants here.

Complain about this comment

508. At 08:49am on 27 Jul 2010, Generalissimo_franco wrote:
@502
"You and Nik in the same ward?"
When the history seaks with well established facts, one should remain silent and shy if he really desires to join the European club.
Regards

509. At 09:59am on 27 Jul 2010, Nik wrote:
506. At 3:47pm on 26 Jul 2010, MacTurk wrote:

"""Oh dear, I go away for the weekend, and when I return, I find more streams of Greek consciousness awaiting. To cool_brush_work, thank you for your number 421. As you know, I have a policy of not responding to our Greek contributor."""

How can you respond anyway when I present undeniable evidence against what you blindly try to protect? My texts for you are an insult to turkishness and I am quite certain that you and borat would had called the police to arrest me had I been in Turkey (let alone call the grey wolfs to deal with it like they dealt with Solomos and Isaak in Cyprus 14 years ago, remember?...).

"""There are two reasons. First, because life is too short."""

Life can be too short when one insults turkishness while being an unarmed civilian.

"""Second, because of the idea that in any war, to win you have to become like your enemy, and I really do not want to go there."""

Indeed. Why would a Turk (or associated like you) want to become the same as a Greek or an Armenian, i.e. the ones whom he slaughters?

"""Sadly, Bora is trying to reason with him."""

Don't lie. As you blatantly saw above he is trying to say something all by evading commenting even a single of my points. He keeps changing the discussion to avoid all issues.

"""An exercise in wrestling fog."""

An excercise in dealing with blind propagandists like you.

"""To generalissimo_franco, regarding your number 479;
"Well Nik, I would restrain myself to comment your presumption, though I believe that Kemal Pasha, long before the coup he mounted in 1920 was in the heart of the slaughters that took place in Armenia, and elsewhere". I think if you do the research, you will discover that Mustafa Kemal Pasha had no time or inclination for any participation in "the slaughters that took place in Armenia". Firstly, because he was posted, on November 1914, as commander of the Turkish 19th Division in the Gallipoli zone, part of the 5th Army under the command of (Geerman)General Otto Liman von Sanders."""

I will let alone the number of christians used as human shield in Gallipoli since there is no proof left there, but during the 1915 call up in the Turkish army (a first of its kind) some 120,000 Greek men of ages from 18 to 35 were called up in the army, imprisoned, sent to concentration camps and were exterminated. Kemal as a higher army military was inherently implicated in that.

But the story of youngturks does not start with Kemal. You had more people like him - does the name Emver tells you anything?

"""Basically, from the time he arrived, he was involved with the defence of the Gallipoli peninsula. The Allies' initial naval began the same month."""

That is either a lie or comes out of your complete ignorance. The British were there 1 month prior to the Turkish army and they could had stormed their way into the Black Sea. Yet, their plan was not exactly that since they were not really interested to open the passage to reach Russians as much as they had declared to their "friends" (with many quotas there...) Russians.

Otto Liman von Sanders has written on that and had wondered why on earth British gave them 1 whole month to prepare their defenses. It was not even a strategic blunder, it seemed it was the plan. The British knowing they would end up in a slaighter had not sent British troops but called in the ANZAC since they had them there for wasting them. One has to note that the ANZAC had been used then and later, in the WWII by the British on battlefields where the British wished more to lose than win (eg. in WWII when the British murdered Greek president Metaxas they sent in the country nearly 60,000 ANZAC who managed to lose pathetically against 12,000 Germans... riding on motorbikes - of course it had been all in the plan). You are too naif MacTurk to understand what went on in Gallipoli but you may as well keep on dreaming red flags with half moons, no problem, you are a lost cause.

I just let it to Von Saunders: "In Gallipoli the single reason the Turkish army won had been the unexplicable delay of the British to attack, they left us more than 4 weeks to prepare our defenses. Without that time, the battle would had been a lost cause since the beginning".

""""General Kemal Pasha was just a litle busy with the combined forces of the British and French Navies, plus assorted ground troops from Ireland, Australia, New Zealan, etc, to have time for what you accuse him of.""""

Ahahaha... yes yes! Busy! The man came in in the last days, he had done nothing, he just took nominal leadership and watched the battle a bit with the telescope and that was all. When he was sent later to fight in Caucasus, there the Russians did not wait for him 1 month to prepare his defenses: they just trashed him with brief moves and Kemal run away trying to avoid any talk on that unfateful campaign. Then when he went in the Middle East, he just managed to retire the complete Ottoman army in front of a handful of camel riding Arabs giving to British and French for free the oil rich lands of the Ottoman Empire. That was Kemal you know. You have to really understand who he was and what he did and for whom he really was doing all what he did.

"""Lastly, he had major issues with the three leaders of the Committee of Union and Progress(CUP)ruling group. He did not like them, and they feared him."""

They did not like him because they considered him an arrivist and a foreign agent.

"""It is also important to note that Kemal Ataturk expressed official regret about the Armenian killings on at least one occasion in the early years of the Turkish Republic."""

Kemal is not so much responsible for the Armenian and Greek of Pontos genocides - as said there are the likes of Enver pasha and his underlings to hunt. But he is directly responsible to the last part of the Minor Asian genocides which himself along with his troops under his absolute command comitted. He had himself declared that "I am not responsible for whatever attrocities my own army will commit against Greeks" in an effort to pretend that he had no control over his troops which was false of course and proven easily by numerous occasions where the slaughter of christians (Greeks and the remaining Armenians) had been fully controlled and systematic. In the case of Smyrna, Kemal had surrounded the city the first day, he had the neighbourhoods surrounded, he had waited to kick out most of the foreigners and by the end of the first day his army had started slaughtering the Armenian genocide while keeping the massive part of the city (habitated by Greeks) isolated and imprisoned "as if keeping the "best" part of the slaughter for later" as Horton, US ambassador has later written. Then by the 3rd day when ALL Armenians had been exterminated, the slaughter of the Greeks started. It is counted that in 4-5 days some 300,000 to 400,000 christians, vast majority Greeks had been slaughtered inside Smyrna and in the neighbouring towns.

"""You can believe what you want, but you are not entitled to your own facts."""

There are not any own facts. The facts are there for everyone to see. Go educate yourself and stop insulting the memory of the millions of victims.

# 507. At 08:45am on 27 Jul 2010, generalissimo_franco wrote:

"""I understand your patriotic efforts to deny whatever involvement of Kemal Pasha in the Armenian genocide. However, there are many well established facts that evidenced his personnel role in the slaughter of thousands of Armenians in 1919 in the town of Cilicia and in 1922 in the town of Smyrna."""

Talking about history with a Turk is like talking about philosophy with a mujjahedin.

"""What I would suggest to any Turkish blogger here present is simple: to express sincerely his sympathies for the millions of slaughtered innocent Christians, say from 1913 on, up to 1974. That generous gesture will be highly appreciated by many of the participants here."""

Generalissimo: this is the most shocking of all. These people have not the slightest of sympathy for the victims. All they care is about the perceived image of their country. It is truly shocking but also comes as a proof of the deep cultural traits of these people that have remained unchanged to our days.

510. At 10:01am on 27 Jul 2010, Nik wrote:
Basic conditions for Turkey to prove its sincere wish to have 0 problems with its western neighbours:

1) Accepting the international law
2) Stop threatening Greece with war
3) Retire troops from Cyprus, retire illigal colonists, return houses and lands back to the owners
3) Stop trying to push illegal immigration to Greece (and Bulgaria that is also EU)
4) Stop trying to incite (by money and sending false priests) muslim Pomaks and gipsies to call themselves Turks (both in EU Bulgaria too)
5) Recognise the 3 genocides of Minor Asia and apologise for the 1955 pongroms and the crimes in Imbros and Tenedos

By the way... my points will indeed remain unanswered. The image of turkishness cannot be insulted with points like the above...

Eвгений, предлагаю интересную тему для обсуждения

скрытый текст

текст из ВВЦ, с некими сомментарами из США (MarcusAureliusII + Powermeerkat), из Германии (Mathiasen), из Греции (Nik), из Франции (Opinion)...И тоже присоединяюсь.
Володя
Where does Turkey's future lie?
Gavin Hewitt | 14:39 UK time, Tuesday, 27 July 2010

In Ankara today David Cameron made an impassioned pitch for Turkey to become part of the European Union. "I'm here," the British Prime Minister said, "to make the case for Turkey's membership of the EU. And to fight for it".

The Prime Minister said he was "angry" that Turkey's progress towards EU membership had been frustrated. He promised to remain Turkey's strongest advocate for EU membership. It was, he said, "something I feel very passionately about".

This fulsome embrace needs to be seen against recent fears that Turkey is increasingly looking east. The Americans say Turkey is being pushed to look for "other alliances" because it feels snubbed by Europe. Washington partly blamed European coolness for the fact that Turkey voted against new sanctions on Iran.

Certainly there is a confidence, even a swagger to Turkey. Its economy is growing by 11% a year. With a powerful economy comes influence. Ankara has been busy building links with Syria and Iran. It wants to become a power in the Muslim world. Its biggest trading partner is now Russia, not the EU.

There are plenty of voices in Turkey who believe they can do without the EU. Faith in eventual membership is ebbing away.

What has brought this about?

The EU accession talks are going nowhere. They are stalled with no breakthrough in sight. In truth neither President Sarkozy of France nor Chancellor Merkel of Germany wants Turkey as a full EU member. They want Turkey to settle for a second-class "privileged partnership". The French are committed to holding a referendum on Turkey's accession.

The Turkish view is that the "old powers" don't want another big player in the club. They suspect that public opinion in much of Europe is lukewarm or even hostile about 75 million Muslims joining the EU. The Turkish Prime Minister, Tayyip Erdogan, said "the EU will only be a Christian club without Turkey". He also, at one point, denounced what he called Angela Merkel's "hatred against Turkey".

There are, however, real issues that affect the road to EU membership.

Cyprus is a major roadblock. Turkey does not recognise Cyprus or allow its ports to be used by Cypriot vessels. It didn't help that a veteran nationalist, Dervis Eroglu, was elected president in the Turkish-backed area of northern Cyprus.

The EU is a secular union and there are fears that the Turkish government is moving away from secularism.

Turkey will also be judged on its stance towards Iran and its nuclear programme. On Monday the EU agreed on tough new sanctions against Tehran. Turkey faces a choice of either supporting the EU or enabling Iran to bypass the new restrictions.

David Cameron said today that "it's Turkey that can help us stop Iran from getting the bomb". He did not flinch from laying out the case against the Iranian regime: "Iran is enriching uranium to 20 per cent with no industrial logic for what they are doing other than producing a bomb."

Iran is rapidly becoming the biggest test as to where Turkey's interests lie.

Then there are the fears that if Turkey joins the EU, Europe will lose its identity. The politicians will have to have that discussion with the people of Europe if Turkey is to join. The people may have to be consulted. David Cameron addressed those concerns directly today "I will argue that the values of real Islam are not incompatible with the values of Europe."

Turkey for its part is watching and deciding whether it can be a bridge between East and West. The Turkish President, Abdullah Gul, said recently that Europeans "are at a point where they need to decide whether the Union is a closed entity, whether the current borders of the EU will define it for eternity, or whether it should plan 50 years ahead and think of its grandchildren, the future".

Отредактировано Боевой Тушканчик (2010-07-28 11:58:55)

Следует продолжение, т.е. комментары:

скрытый текст

текст5. At 3:42pm on 27 Jul 2010, MarcusAureliusII wrote:
As an outside observer who has no dog in this fight, my observations lead me to conclude that Turkey will never be admitted to the EU. All members must agree unanimously. Besides France and Germany who have objections for many reasons, Austria will never agree, neither will Greece. As Turkey seems to be turning away from being an entirely secular state and adopting some of the ideas of fundimentalist Islam, they are moving as a society in the wrong direction if they want to join the EU. They would have to convince all members that they are and will remain forever a secular state with all of the same democratic policies of the rest of the EU. At this moment that seems an impossibility.

" David Cameron addressed those concerns directly today "I will argue that the values of real Islam are not incompatible with the values of Europe.""

The Macaroon has made one loaded statement. Real Islam by whose definition, his? What is real Islam? That depends entirely on whom you ask but in the eyes of many Moslems, their view is far from what the rest of the EU will accept. It is more to them than just a privately practiced religion between them and their god. It is a way of life where the boundary between religion and politics is hazy at best, non existant at worst. No EU member will accept that, let alone all of them. The macaroon risks alienating many other EU members and even many Brits on this issue by holding that position. It is Turkey's problem to prove otherwise and convince those in the EU who hold strong views against their membership, not the Macaroon's.
China's economy is also growing by leaps and bounds. Perhaps Europe should consider inviting them to join too.

7. Powermeerkat wrote:
MM: "Its [Turkey's] biggest trading partner is now Russia, not the EU."
It must be music to the ears of the likes of Nik the Greek. :)))
(Он не пропускаеть "клюнить" всех, кто поддерживают Россию /в том числе и моего смирения/.)

18. BluesBerry wrote: (from the UK)
Where does Turkey's future lie?
She is looking east, no longer looking west.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey’s PM, calls Mahmoud Ahmedinejad “a friend”. The Turkey PM must be puzzled, even dismayed, by the worries re Iran’s nuclear programme; after all, when was the last time Iran attacked another country, bombed another country, or displayed the ugly, almost genocidal behaviour of some wester countries, especially the United States of America.
Neither does Turkey's PM have much problem in accepting Sudan’s leader Omar al-Bashir; Recep Tayyip Erdogan simply responds: “Muslims don’t commit genocide”.
Ankara’s priority seems no longer (if it every truly was) towards the European Union; this is the same EU imposing terrible sanctions against Iran. Ankara’s priority seems no longer (if it every truly was) towards working alongside Nato; this is the same Nato that is primarily guided by, led with an American nose-ring.
Recep Tayyip Erdoganby seems ready to pursue an Ottoman foreign policy designed to restore Turkey’s predominance; take leadership with “soft power”. The perceived shift in Turkish foreign policy is just that - perceived.
Turkey, a secular political state, was, has always been, very much an Islamic state. Europeans and Americans should be worried about:
1. Turkey’s tightening ties with Syria, Iran, Sudan, as well as other Islamic countries. Turkey can do much to unite & lead these nations, make them a force to be reckoned with. What reason has the west ever given Erdogan that he would aspire otherwise?
2. Turkey is tightening ties with not just the Middle East, but with Russia. The west attempts to portray this a devolution of democratic freedoms and civil rights, but it's not. It's a simple realization that Turkey wants no part of western philosophies, war-mongering, and imperialism.
Turkey will indeed continue to stand up for modernisation and values such as democracy and tolerance. In fact I think the EU needs Turkey more than Turkey needs the EU?

24. Jukka Rohilla wrote (from Finland, a close friend of Generalissimo):
Gavin, how does your fact checking?

You said: "Its biggest trading partner is now Russia, not the EU."

Let me help you...

Turkey's import partners 2009
40,5% - 40437 Mio euro - EU
14,1% - 14102 Mio euro - Russia
09,1% - 09053 Mio euro - China
06,2% - 06149 Mio euro - United States
02,4% - 02429 Mio euro - Iran

Turkey's export partners 2009
46,2% - 33590 Mio euro - EU
05,1% - 03685 Mio euro - Iraq
04,1% - 02951 Mio euro - Switzerland
03,4% - 02452 Mio euro - United States
03,2% - 02292 Mio euro - Russia

[Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator]

In case of Europe and Turkey, the main obstacle of Turkeys membership in the EU is its poor human rights situation...

"Turkey's human rights record has long continued to attract scrutiny, both internally and externally. According to the Foreign Ministry, Turkey was sentenced to 33 million euros in 567 different cases between 1990—when Turkey effectively allowed individual applications to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR)—and 2006.[5] Most abuses were done in the South-East, in the frame of the conflict with the PKK.[5]

In 2007, there were 2830 applications lodged against the Republic of Turkey before the ECtHR and consequently 331 judgments on the merits have been issued affirming 319 violations and 9 non-violations.[6] In 2008, Turkey ranked second after Russia in the list of countries with the largest number of human rights violation cases open at the European Court of Human Rights, with 9,000 cases pending as of August 2008.[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Turkey

In case of David Cameron...

In my opinion it is petty politicking on part of him to claim that Turkey's troubles in membership negotiations has anything to do with Europe. Maybe he doesn't like human rights, but that doesn't mean that the rest of Europe shouldn't be committed to human rights. Either Turkey starts to respect human rights or it can forget joining the European Union, there can be no compromise.

42. Mayhiasen (Germany):
Where Turkey's future lies, I don’t know. I know more about UK’s. Most comments here concentrate on Turkey but that is the false country. The question is what the new British government wants to achieve in EU, and actually the discussion here should be made under the article “Brits seek to influence Europe”.

Earlier this evening the German foreign minister Westerwelle rejected the ideas of the British PM concerning Turkey’̈s membership. Mr. Hewitt did not mention it in his article, but he must know too, that a number of countries in the union are opposing Turkey’s membership - at least for the present. The initiative of the new British government might therefore in the end not ease the tension in Ankara but instead increase it in the union.

Следует продолжение:

скрытый текст

текстI read from the BBC main article:

"""David Cameron has promised to "fight" for Turkey's membership of the European Union, saying he is "angry" at the slow pace of negotiations."""

Haha... yes "fight"... Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan style?

"""On his first visit as prime minister, he said the country could become a "great European power", helping build links with the Middle East."""

"great European power" aaaaaaahahaha... should I laugh with the "great", with the "European" or with the "power"?

"""In a speech at the Turkish parliament in Ankara, Mr Cameron said he wanted to "pave the road" for Turkey to join the EU, saying the country was "vital for our economy, vital for our security and vital for our diplomacy"."""

"vital"... for whom? For Portugal or for Sweden? A yes! For the UK. But the rest 440,000,000 Europeans do not care about that.

"""While praising Turkey's secular and democratic traditions, Mr Cameron stressed that Turkey must continue to push forward "aggressively" with economic and political reform to maintain momentum towards EU membership."""

"Aggressive" pffff...

----------------------------------

Question: what is that choice of words really? If Cameron-boy just visits people and tells them what they want to hear then Turks just wanna hear about being:

1) vital
2) fighting
3) aggressive
4) powerful
5) great
6) ... european

What kind of psychological complexes some have to need to hear Cameron tell them the above must be there, I am really wondering. Interesting issue. Even more when they passed most of the 20th century exterminating all European populations in their country as well in foreign countries they invaded, and now they want to become themselves europeans. What kind of complexe is that?

52. At 9:01pm on 27 Jul 2010, Nik wrote:
... and the question remains:

It just does not matter what the UK wished (and clearly they want Turkey inside to make them 2 in the EU). The question is on Turks. Why? EU has a long record of bad economic performances, reduced autonomy of action, ruining local interests and using peripheral countries as boxing sacks and milking cows. Turks must be blind not to see all that. So what drives Turks becoming so .... altruists... wishing to enter the EU? That is the question indeed!

Why do Turks want to join the European Union? Do they really feel they have something to do in Europe? Do they feel being Europeans? Or is it just that kind of complex of the "low-class wishing to enter the high-class salon just to satisfy personal complexes of inferiority"?

If nothing like that is true then what is the motive?

53. At 9:20pm on 27 Jul 2010, quietoaktree wrote:
Gavin forgot to mention that both leaders condemned Israel for ´PRISON CAMP´Gaza, while discussing Iran. (rather dishonest and incomplete reporting)

TWO Nato members are expressing dissatisfaction with Israel -- and more will follow !

No doubt Cameron has also plans that Turkey accept the Pound Sterling as a Euro alternative and Sterling support.

54. At 9:28pm on 27 Jul 2010, Nik wrote:
35. At 6:51pm on 27 Jul 2010, DLT wrote:

Priceless message (if you are any other EU nationality than Greek, then you are quite knowledgeable of the region).

Indeed you are right on every single point you made and I built on it:

Turkey:

1) cannot be used as a link with other sunni muslims because the rest are Arabs and simply the last thing they want is to have Turks telling them stories again. Syria has more negative than positive relations with Turkey and other Middle Eastern countries have simply no particular touch

2) cannot be used as a link to other turkic muslim communities in central Asia. The pantourkic idea was applied for 20 years now and is deemed a blatant failure apart the isolated case of Azerbaitzan in desperate need of political support from Turkey in its issues at Nagorno Karabah where it got crashed by the local militia army of this break-way Armenian region

3) cannot be used as a mediator to Iran as Iran is their good old shiite enemies they had been fighting for centuries for the control of Mesopotamia. Brief links cannot restore the vast civilisational let alone geopolitical chasm between the two countries

therefore:
4) cannot be sold as a country that has more to offer to the EU

and on top:
5) cannot be taken seriously when it openly starts neo-Ottoman agendas (ref. to Davut-oglu boy)

6) cannot be consided European: not only as a culture or mindset which is day and night different to the rest of the Europeans but also even the "mimickry" of the fascist military Kemalist regime has eaten all its breads and evidently does not have anything to sell nowadays...

I.e. too much talk or nothing.

Turkey has nothing particular to offer to Europe other than becoming no2 next to UK in being a blind follower of the US geopolitical plans in Eurasia.

"""Besides, important as Turkey may be as a regional power, it is not and will never be a superpower, such as Russia, China, India or Brasil are or will be."""

Correct. If Cameron spent half the words he said for Russia or Brazil it would be much more beneficial for the EU cause. Now, the definition of a "regional power" necessarily passes from the point of it being capable all by itself to yield some autonomous power and if it wishes to enforce pass its will. Turkey is not such. So far it has not moved a single cm without consulting first the US and Britain. Plain speaking, the term puppet-power is more fitting than the terms Cameron used.

US and UK wishes are understandable, but then why would the EU want to receive in the club a US-puppet power? What for?

And on the other side, the question remains. Why would Turks wish to enter the EU? Why do they need it so much?

55. At 9:32pm on 27 Jul 2010, quietoaktree wrote:
#52 Nik

Greece is not in the same league as Turkish industry --- So go back to sleep and keep your powder dry !

56. At 9:33pm on 27 Jul 2010, Menedemus wrote:
JukkaRohila @#23

"...In case of Europe and Turkey, the main obstacle of Turkeys membership in the EU is its poor human rights situation..."

Personally, I thought the Europeans were pretty good when it came to human rights but then you did write ... "EU" is its poor human rights situation! That explains why it would be so difficult for Turkey to join - they wouldn't want to go downhill would they?. ;0)

57. At 9:35pm on 27 Jul 2010, Unal wrote:

58. At 9:38pm on 27 Jul 2010, Menedemus wrote:
Following on from #34.

Turkey, by joining the EU, could end up voting for Christmas!

Turkey eggs, its the way you crack 'em!

59. At 9:50pm on 27 Jul 2010, ghostofsichuan wrote:
Powermerrcat:

As the Europeans were picking the bones of China during that period it would be fair to say that the Chinese viewed that treaty as signed under duress. Foreign warships on China's rivers and coast was the diplomacy of the day.Others followed and after all the British were fighting to sell opium to the Chinese and other high moral reasons. Their fellow Europens and the US decided that this was easy money and the Russians decided why should they be left out. The Chinese have not forgotten all this and it is still playing out. Now they are all lined up at China's door borrowing money....history can be ironic.

60. At 9:51pm on 27 Jul 2010, quietoaktree wrote:
#47 distant traveller

--Get your history right -- or do some traveling !

61. At 9:53pm on 27 Jul 2010, MaxSceptic wrote:
Cameron has taken lessons from 'Yes Minister':

Britain must be at the heart of the EU... in order to destroy it.

Well done, Dave!!!

62. At 10:23pm on 27 Jul 2010, MarcusAureliusII wrote:
MadMax

"Cameron has taken lessons from 'Yes Minister':"

No, The Macaroon has taken lessons from...The Cookie Monster!

63. At 10:40pm on 27 Jul 2010, nick wrote:
Why is this joke of a UK prime minister insisting Turkey join the EU.
It's only because the united states want it, and all cameron is doing is pampering to the united states again. When will the UK as a nation make it's own international agenda. Are we in Europe or not. David Cameron has no right to make such a statement about Turkey joining the EU, when Turkey as a nation has not met the most basic criteria of joing Europe.

64. At 11:19pm on 27 Jul 2010, mvr512 wrote:
41.Leo_Naphta wrote:# 39, A pity that you would exclude an area completely on the idea of the geographical location as such

Really? Then why call it European Union, if you're not gonna limit it to Europe? What's next? New Zealand? Japan?

Istanbul (or maybe you'd prefer Constantinople), by the way, is most decidedly in Europe

Half of it isn't. And most of the country isn't either. Plus: Turkey is not Istanbul.

I don't think there is any reason to let Turkey join the Union...

I agree with that part ;-)
(and left the rest of the sentence out :-)

Europe is an ill-defined concept both geographically as culturally as politically.

Not in my book it isn't. Urals, Caucasus, Bosporus, Mediterranean.

Leaves Turkey out in my book. Oh, and the Turkish army ought to launch a coup against the AKP which is undermining secularity.

65. At 11:41pm on 27 Jul 2010, Unal wrote:
Pre 1974 Turks in Cyprus had to go through check points before they could cross from one town to the next. People would go missing. Questions was asked by turkey no answers were given. Then one day the Greeks felt so confident that they tried to wipe out all the Turks from Cyprus. Turkey stood up to this and did something while all the other countries sat back and whatched. Pre 1974 over 1200 Turks was massacred. Turkey put an end to all that. I hope they do the same for the palestians. Turkey will bow to no nation it's foundations is older than America & Australia put together. That's fact don't like look it up. And as for the Kurds who are armed by the isrealis and the Greeks who also provide the propaganda, keep on trying. Now the issue with Europe. Turkey is not your toy they will how ever provide you with bread and butter for the future we all now that. The European economy is week and will get weaker in fifty years time. Asia America will be way ahead. So now you tell me who needs who. Turkey has 70 percent of the population all students ready for the future. While Europe has 50 percent of the population over fifty years old. Europe will be the beggars in years to come. That's why cameron is doing it now.

66. At 00:06am on 28 Jul 2010, MarcusAureliusII wrote:
Nick at Nite;

"It's only because the united states want it, and all cameron is doing is pampering to the united states again."

I really do wish the American government would stay out of what are clearly European affairs. They will of course do whatever they want and when it blows up in their faces as their lunacy inevitably does, our meddling will only give them an excuse to blame us for their own folly. Then they will want to somehow be compensated for it. Please Mister President, when it comes to other nations internal affairs that don't affect us, I beg of you to just shut up. In other words...zip it.

67. At 00:20am on 28 Jul 2010, opinion wrote:
He he
There is no surprise in Cameron's discourse.
First he gets some economical advantages from Turkey for "being so much on their side".
Second he gets an upper position in negotiations with Germany and France by being able to renounce little by little to his support for Turkey.

68. At 01:25am on 28 Jul 2010, orkhun wrote:
I usualy don't comment on news posts but this time I had to as it's BBC;
You should not take any comments about Kurds or Cyprus serious on news about Turkey, unless those comments come from someone who lived in Turkey or Cyprus and has a wide knowledge on history and geography. I am a journalist as well and I say, to comment on some other country you have to have a wide knowledge of it's history and culture otherwise it becomes a pro or anti speech without a base, I can't lecture anyone on these topics as this would take days. For the EU topic Turkey needs EU for a stable market, free travel for business and regional security nothing else, for some comments on Super Powers, people should study more before commenting, to be a power you need more than economical growth and among those countries only China is becoming a Super Power and India a Major Power, and if you'd like to know Turkey study, all those anti-turkey bullshit is only for illeterate and narrow minded, Finally if you didn't live in Turkey or studied it at University stop commenting except your self opinion on the news mentioned. For me Turkey may or may not join the EU it's not a major concern, Turkey should modernise itself on it's own way not others. Also Turkey doesn't need to be a European country to join the union EU is a name it doesn't mean countries on European countinent not anymore. Thank you for reading.

69. At 01:44am on 28 Jul 2010, JBD68 wrote:
I think it would be detrimental for Turkey to join the EU. i don't think it is a true union in the sense that the US is and never will be. Look at the members: non of them are doing too well. They can not decide on anything, Majority of Brits I speak with here don't want anything to do with the EU. You will find that majority of the Turks do not want to join either.

As a Turk I think, our interests are best served by continuing to open up to more trade with our neighbours in the short to medium term, in the longer term all of Middle east, Russia, Latin America. Russia is already a good trading partner. Get out of NATO as well, it is only annoying our neighbours and potential trading partners.There is no military threat to Turkey.

70. At 01:52am on 28 Jul 2010, MarcusAureliusII wrote:
So what will happen if The Macaroon vists Greece anytime soon? Maybe he should send his junior Cleggy. As a duo each can speak out of a different side of the British government's mouth. Isn't that a politician's instinct anyway?

71. At 04:11am on 28 Jul 2010, Liliput wrote:
Future? The Turks will be most welcome to join EU if they can make Schweinsbraten their staple diet and Remy Martin (I recommend Louis XIII) their national drink. Plus all sorts of imported German sausage and french wine (sorry, no 'fish & chips', boiled veg, or tea allowed).

If they can do this it will be a lot easier for Cameron to 'fight' and 'make a case' for them! :-D

72. At 04:52am on 28 Jul 2010, burtine wrote:
This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

73. At 07:30am on 28 Jul 2010, Unal wrote:
@lilliput

Your point

74. At 08:09am on 28 Jul 2010, cool_brush_work wrote:
lacerniagigante

Re #8, #10 & the other UK has got 'no say' in EU detractors

UK is the 2nd/3rd largest contributor (depending on the type of measurement & basically as France's economy lives off the other EU26 it doesn't count, so, in reality UK is 2nd to Germany).

That eminent annual Fiscal-Economic contribution plus 3rd largest population, 2nd/3rd largest 'internal market', key Commission posts, Foreign Rep Ashton, and UK/England's geo-political links via Commonwealth make it a Nation with considerable clout within the EU.

Also, in past times it was UK championed the cause of Sweden, Finland etc. entering the EU, so it has shown that commitment.
Just on a matter of principle like any EU member it is entitled to promote the 'entry' of any prospective Nation.

The reality is Turkey's enormous struggles with its membership application/negotiations just 100% expose the duplicity and reckless disregard for the basics on which France-Germany publicly proclaim the virtues of the EU: Namely, 'ever closer union' - - it is a fallacy - - the axis-of-ill-intent are only interested in supporting measures to increasse their hegemony. Clearly were Turkey to become a full member the geo-political/demographic/cultural/economic structure of the EU would be radically altered. The core, centralising controllers in Paris-Berlin would find they are under intense pressure from 'west' (UK/England) and 'east' (Turkey) and the self-serving, self-appointed founding-inspirators' influence (Paris-Berlin) would be severely challenged and doubtless much reduced.

As an 'anti-EU' I enjoy this debacle whatever its outcome: The long drawn-out discussions of Turkish entry serve to show Paris-Berlin are liars about their 'ever closer union' and demonstrate their venal interests govern the Brussels' framework; if Turkey were to gain membership the undermining of Paris-Berlin might almost make UK/England membership become a more viable proposition because Paris-Berlin would not be able to control the political 'input' & decision-making process in the manner they have for the last 20 post-Maastricht years.

Incidentally, all those 'pro-EU' (opposed to Turkey) and indeed anyone familiar with Maastricht's details & the Single Union must know Turkey's application is entirely within the framework of acceptability.
Yes, Turkey, like others presently applying has much to do (and given its uniqueness as a Muslim Nation the difficulties are greater - - however, Paris-Berlin's opposition has allowed the bigots to emerge in full voice - - for an EU proclaiming 'unity' & 'neighbourliness' it is very unedifying). Turkey's attitudes to Human Rights being only 1 of several areas where harmonistaion still has a long way to go: Nevertheless, to complete its preparations, but the additional hurdle placed in Turkey's way plus the outright opposition of Paris-Berlin (& others, e.g. Athens) is contrary to the letter & spirit of the 1992 EU pacts.

Consequently, I hope Turkey gains admittance, but confess the day the negotiations finally collapse will not from a UK/England viewpoint be all that bad. It may well give the PM after Cameron (it'll take 10 years for Turkey to get the hostile message from Paris-Berlin) all the excuse needed to go to the British Public with a Referenda on membership.

Of course the latter scenario will be a tragedy for Europe: A disillusioned & probably ultra-Islamic giant nation on its south-east doorstep, the never-ending Cyprus divide, the likelihood of Turkey supporting promotion of radical Islam inside the EU, the 'loist' immense & developing internal market that Turkey offers, and instead a huge & very competitive non-EU Economy on its doorstep...

The EU may never recover from such a mistake.

The probability a UK/England Government masy also finally conclude that the stagnant-stifling Paris-Brussels-Berlin cabal really will only countenance their avaricious political-economic interests at whatever cost to the rest of the EU: Inspiration for UK & perhaps others to get out from under Brussels...

No, Turkey outside the EU does not bode well at all for the political monstrosity in its present format.

75. At 08:15am on 28 Jul 2010, powermeerkat wrote:
Re #59

"British were fighting to sell opium to the Chinese and other high moral reasons. Their fellow Europens and the US decided that this was easy money and the Russians decided why should they be left out. The Chinese have not forgotten all this and it is still playing out. Now they are all lined up at China's door borrowing money....history can be ironic."

Yes, it can, can't it?

All what's needed now is a "Manchurian Candidate". :)

BTW. I was talking to a Chinese (US-educated) aeronautical engineer travelling with his family through Peru last autumn.

I've mentioned Ural Mountains.

He seemed puzzled and looked at his 20sh son who explained:

'ULAR mountains'. :)

76. At 08:17am on 28 Jul 2010, powermeerkat wrote:
"Oh, and the Turkish army ought to launch a coup against the AKP which is undermining secularity."

At least give them some credit for fighting Commie PKK.

[you have to start somewhere]

77. At 08:27am on 28 Jul 2010, powermeerkat wrote:
Liliput wrote: "Plus all sorts of imported German sausage and french wine (sorry, no 'fish & chips', boiled veg, or tea allowed)."

"German sausage and French wine"?

Liliput, your post alone has given me an indigestion.

[almost like Helmut Kohl's notorious cook book]

It's either Adana kebab washed down with rake, or Tournedot a la Rossini
[you know ,the great French composer :)] washed down with a decent Pouillac.

[Of course there's always surf&turf (sauted scallops+mahi-mahi steak) washed down with a Californian Petite Sirrah.]

Отредактировано Боевой Тушканчик (2010-07-28 12:01:34)

Следует, наверно последное продолжение.
Евгений, если кто-то хочет, он может мне задать вопросы. Я, в молодоски успел познакомиться с историями трех империй, существование которых связонно с моей родиной /Россия, Турция, Австро-Венгрия/.

скрытый текст

текст82. Menedemus wrote (Danmark):
Just read this in The Economist (Bagehot's notebook) and it made me smile: "... in Germany, for example, it is a big deal that if Turkey did achieve membership in 2025, say, it is projected to have a larger population than any other EU country. That would give Turkey, overnight, the largest delegation of members of the European Parliament. That profoundly shocks Germans, who take the EP rather seriously. In Britain, many people could not care less if a delegation of chimpanzees were elected to the Strasbourg assembly."

Just think though, the Human Rights Law would quickly become the Chimpanzee Rights Law and Chimpanzees could impose their rules and behaviurs on the rest of us very quickly. I think the British might well object to that ... they pretty much object to everything to do with EU imposed rules and rights anyway.

83. Generalissimo_franco wrote:
Gavin,
I think that the good intended stance the British coalition government has addopted with regards of the present Turkish leadership lacks some essential points. One cannot declare openly that all the cultural/religious/political/social etc. differences between us, European (mainly Christian) nations cannot be a reason that would prevent Turkey from being invited to join the EU. Second, if we add to the all those obvious differences (which would suggest a total incompatibility between the code of secular values the Europeans share and the cultural traditions still in force in Turkey), the fact that Turkey, so far, did not recognized openly the genocide its troops perpetrated of several millions of Armenians, Greeks, Kurds, Arabs, Bulgarians etc., within a relatively short historic period of time, say, from 1913 up to 1974, we must agree that the present Turkish leadership naively believes that its historical past, and his present are enough “clean” for applying for a full membership to the EU.
Even, if we admit, that by some miracle, Turkey will be allowed to join the Brussels institutions as a full member state, that circumstance does not necessarily mean that Turkey will counterbalance (as expected by Mr.Cameron) the present French/German political/economical preponderance in the “cooking” of the general EU policy. Turkey might play its own card, much to the dissatisfaction of Mr.Cameron and its government. I would name that Turkish eventual stance a “Turkish Gambit”, that may surprise in a quite unpleasant way all member states…
And last, but not least, old Europe is not at all a correctional house for that country which is much closer to Asia both geographically and politically. Sorry Mr. Cameron!
Regards from Sofia

Отредактировано Боевой Тушканчик (2010-07-28 12:34:00)

Спасибо Наташа за понимание. Должен высказать благодарность и Саше.
Если бы, кто-то из участников захочеть прокомментировать, то что я сюда "подбросил" с добрыми намерениями, я с удовольствием буду с ним беседовать. Разумеется, я не хочу дать понять, что я согласен с всеми чатами опубликованными форумом ББЦ. Я постарался переносить и мою точку зрения, которою готов защищать. Все остальные "чаты" и официальные статии ББЦ, это не мое дело, хотя бы готов их тоже прокомментировать. Язык этих форумчан очень легкий для понимания, и надеюсь, с этими публикациями, я, как-то постарался расширить перечень обсуждаемых тем, а так-же и "межнациональные" общения Смоленского форума.
Разумеется, если б Евгений и его помощники считают целесооброзным, я бы мог сюда публиковать /т.е. дать только одни линки/ и к другим интересным форумам, как французскому FIGARO.
Володя